Home

Upcoming Events

There are no Upcoming Events

Condividi contenuti

The Guild of Messengers - discussion review by Whilyam

58 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Zardoz
Offline
Iscritto: 10 Nov 2007

Whilyam wrote:
I don't necessarily think it's competition but that TCT and the other remaining affiliates have no logical reason for still being "independent" from the Guild.

I must admit to finding this entire discussion baffling, but that's probably just me.  This statement by Whil, however, is a good example of what baffles me.  I could have just as easily written this as, "TCT and the other remaining affiliates have no logical reason for being part of the Guild."  That is, I'm just not seeing anyone making a strong case for why these other prominent organizations should be under the same, over-arching "trademark" of the Guild of Messengers.  Is it one-stop shopping, so to speak?  That is, is there some perceived advantage in having all that information in one website?  Strikes me that it would create a labyrinthian challenge if everyone with an interest in news-type content were given a spot in the Guild of Messengers - oh, wait, that's rel.to.  So it must be that the vision is one in which a mysterious power compels these other people to join the Guild of Messengers and be part of just one organization.  Not sure where that power comes from, other than Cyan resurrecting itself and refusing to give people permission to display Cyan-owned IP unless they join the GoMess, for example.

It strikes me that the unstated assumption behind this is the classic belief (Utopian or certainly optative, in my view) that there is A Single Best Way to Do Things.  Personally, I like the Creative Destruction of competition, and believe that The Cream Will Rise to the Top.  As others have noted, however, there is so little going on in Uru that there is no opportunity for people to distinguish themselves, and so gain reputations and ultimately larger followings.  Whether that would in fact be what is now the de facto official Guild of Messengers should not be pre-ordained, however (at least, in my mind).

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

"TCT and the other remaining affiliates have no logical reason for being part of the Guild."

I read that in the exact opposite way:

"TCT and the other remaining affiliates have no logical reason for NOT being part of the Guild."

That is, is there some perceived advantage in having all that information in one website?

Not on the same website. For a series of reasons:

1. If the website goes down for some issues there would be no "backup" news websites for Uru. (/me prays this will never happen)
2. It would be a very big headache to manage all those groups in one single website, speaking from a webmaster point of view XD

However...with the participation of our friends of TCT in this discussion it has been clarified what was the real meaning on Affiliates in the GoMe back in 2008...it has been forgotten with the passing of time.

Right now I would focus more on other good ways for improving GoMe without changing our relationship with the Affiliates. With the posts on the first page on this thread we have already found that we need more writers, reporters and interviewers with only that task, because now we have all the organizational jobs filled and ready to work with them.

Zardoz
Offline
Iscritto: 10 Nov 2007

Leonardo wrote:

"TCT and the other remaining affiliates have no logical reason for being part of the Guild."

I read that in the exact opposite way:

"TCT and the other remaining affiliates have no logical reason for NOT being part of the Guild."

Sorry, my desire to be clever resulted in a confusing statement.  What I meant was, I don't see any logical reason for the TCT and others to be part of the Guild OR not part of the Guild - that is, I don't see any strong reasons for or against it.  I see assertions that reasons in favor of a merger exist, but have yet to see any clear statement and defense of those reasons.

Whilyam
Offline
Iscritto: 7 Giu 2010

It would help if we stopped trying to muddy the issue. I clearly said in the article why the organizations should merge with the Guild. Why are people dreaming up other reasons?
It's not about competition with the Guild or about advantages of consolidation. It is about their unnecessary autonomy and the problems that autonomy creates. If I need to babble on about the patently obvious reasons behind this, I suppose I will.

For one, the organizations remain autonomous and thus have their own distinct leadership hierarchy and bureaucracy. This is unnecessary and impedes the quick flow of information and/or instruction.

Secondly, the organizations were created or spawned from personal disputes which are still permitted to persist (even in this thread Jnathus takes potshots at CCN). This leads to the organizations being allowed to continue these personal battles with each other even while technically affiliated through their Guild membership. This is distracting to the organization and leads to continued animosity.

Third, while the organizations do not compete directly with the Guild, they still have some form of competition with each other in that they "consume" (by publishing stories) the same limited "resources" (people to interview).

Fourth, organizations obviously require their own staff which takes people away from being able to fill staff positions at the Guild.

Finally, the autonomy of the organizations erodes the natural authority of the Guild. You can see this displayed in the knee-jerk, disrespectful way the organizations reacted to me "speaking for the GoMe" and Zardoz's patronizing contraction to "GoMess". Rather than acting as if they belong to the same group working towards a common goal (as was the impression given by the early discussions during the formation of the GoMe) the organizations act more like corporate business partners who only work together because someone else told them to, snapping at every perceived threat rather than understanding the issue.

Nanouk_Metal
Offline
Iscritto: 1 Mar 2008

@ Whilyam

One thing that one must not forget is that when the GoMe moved to this new site, we were left with the impression that we had a lots of bandwitdh available.

A few months ago, I was told that my access to my image hosting user's account had been cancelled due to lack of bandwidth. Can you imagine what would happen if all the affiliates would transfer everything here ? And what about future tasks ?

Would you volonteer to "personnally" pay extra for the difference ?

P.S.
To whom it may concern ?
After login out, the site is still showing me "online".
I do not have access to the old forum bug thread since I am not a messenger anymore.


Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Whilyam is not proposing to move the Affiliates here, just that they collaborate more but still keeping their indipendence, not moving all their materials here, for my personal happiness XD

The space each Messenger has on this website is meant to be used for Messengers tasks and is reserved to Messengers only. This was the main reason, disk space was a secondary reason.

The bug with still being logged-in is known...but I have no idea of what is causing it

Nanouk_Metal
Offline
Iscritto: 1 Mar 2008

At the time, I had an extremely good and "personnal reason"  for kind of resigning from the GoMe. re: possible real lifetime limits. But don't worry anymore Leo, I will go my own way and stay as far away from GoMe as possible.

God save the messengers and their bandwidth...
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/forum/topic/all-uru-and-myst-games-versions-pictures-gallery?page=5#comment-13361


Whilyam
Offline
Iscritto: 7 Giu 2010

Actually, Leo, what I'm proposing is that affiliates have LESS independence and work towards integrating with the Guild. Keep in mind integration doesn't just mean more people potentially swamping your servers, it also means more resources to use to upgrade those servers.

Your point about the vulnerability a single site has to losing data is one to consider, however I don't see how affiliates really solve that problem. GoMe business is NOT mirrored over there to my knowledge and so the only things saved on each affiliate site is their own proceedings (which will be lost if they ever go down similar to the GoMa).

Moreover, if we all agree with the premise that Uru is so dead that no one really cares about these things then hosting and data preservation should not be a concern since so few are here to put load on the servers or post data people care about retaining. To again use the GoMa as an example, while their data loss was inconvenient there were backups in place (and these backups could have been more routine to further preserve data). As such, I don't accept "bandwidth and storage" as a good reason to advocate continued separation. To borrow JWPlatt's phrase, these separations as little more than "manufactured division."

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Nanouk I'm not saying you didn't have good reasons. It's just that I don't see why an exception to the rules should be made. Disk Space is very precious to keep the work of the Guild, and since I don't work I don't like having to upgrade the hosting plan when I can avoid it.

Whilyam wrote:
Actually, Leo, what I'm proposing is that affiliates have LESS independence and work towards integrating with the Guild.

Didn't you mention somewhere that in your vision they would still remain separate entities? That's what I meant.

No GoMe work is not mirrored...but if every single bit of News is here, the ENTIRE news flow would go 'puff'.
I don't see how integration would bring more resourses to upgrade the servers XD We're not RL companies with their budgets XD

However those are not reasons against integration...just random webmaster ramblings.

However, this is not something we have the power to change now. So, as I said, I would concentrate on improvements that we have the power to make.

Marten
Ritratto di Marten
Offline
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
Iscritto: 8 Nov 2007

Nanouk: Stop pretending that the removal of your Messenger permissions was an insult to you.  When you leave a job, you don't keep a key to the office, and it doesn't matter how well liked you were at the job, and if you were using the company equipment for personal uses well then you don't have access to that anymore. 

And please stop interrupting topics like this one to drive your agenda of complaining because we accepted your resignation.  You've said before that you're going to go away and not come back, and then you show up again a few months later to complain about this exact same thing again.

I am your friend, and you've worn out my patience so I am telling it to you straight, like it is.

BACK ON TOPIC....

Whilyam:  Why does it matter so much to you that these three groups fit together?  Jnathus has given us a little insight into TCT's future, which doesn't sound at all like it fits the GoMe's mission.  And CCN is dormant, and even if you look at their history, they're not a pure news organization - they're a hybrid of news and entertainment (it was a difficult decision for me to put them into 'news' on rel.to).

As I said before (like a skipping record), it really only makes sense for organizaitons to merge together if they share a common goal.  In this case, I don't see that.   Merging these groups together would only produce a chimera.  (Though that doesn't mean the groups couldn't improve their relationship, and work together a little more, which is what we were hoping when we renewed our affiliates discussion recently.  But, maybe not if TCT continues down the path outlined above.)

Whilyam
Offline
Iscritto: 7 Giu 2010

Leo: In the short term, the organizations would still be around as logistics for absorbtion were worked on (getting everyone over here, filling everyone in on the hierarchy herre, etc.). Long term: complete integration is the goal.
The News is posted on every forum in the Uru community (or so it seems) so it would not really disrupt the news flow.
Finally, my idea would be that Jnathus would spend the money (or a little less) he would spend to host TCT instead on hosting it or a similar show on the Guild site. In that way, you would not spend any more.

Marten: Let's be honest here, Jnathus can say all he wants to, but his show is called "The Cavern Today" not "Jnathus' Grab Bag". Until the name of the show is changed, I think it is closely aligned with the Guild's interests. Either way, the result is the same. If TCT remains on doing an URU podcast, the Guild should be the one in charge of it. If TCT decides to move on, they're no longer an Uru news organization. Either way is better for the Guild. Considering how angry and belligerent Jnathus got, I certainly wouldn't want him heading up an organization I was working with, but that's your area.

I should clarify "new blood" as well. By that I mean those people who came in around 2004-2008 roughly. Not the newest "crop" so to speak. I agree with Tweek that competent management requires some knowledge of this community's history, so I wouldn't want some Uru "noob" running an organization.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

TCT has removed forum import for our Feed

Szark
Ritratto di Szark
Offline
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Iscritto: 12 Gen 2008

Wow that was along read which ended up well, didn't it?

I suppose all what has been said and how it was said proves a point to me. What a said testiment to a failed amazing vision.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

this post by Nanouk can be interesting for this discussion: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=362322#362322

Jnathus
Offline
Iscritto: 25 Nov 2007

Whilyam wrote:
Marten: Let's be honest here, Jnathus can say all he wants to, but his show is called "The Cavern Today" not "Jnathus' Grab Bag". Until the name of the show is changed, I think it is closely aligned with the Guild's interests. Either way, the result is the same. If TCT remains on doing an URU podcast, the Guild should be the one in charge of it. If TCT decides to move on, they're no longer an Uru news organization. Either way is better for the Guild. Considering how angry and belligerent Jnathus got, I certainly wouldn't want him heading up an organization I was working with, but that's your area.

You make it sound Whilyam, as though my anger and unpleasantry were reserved to myself only.  I can't think of anyone at the podcast thinking you had any right to dictate any terms of affiliate status to us.  Only one spoke in favor of maintaining our ties to you, but with the same reservations of "what is there even to fight over / discuss?" i.e. URU is rather barren.  Whether you like my methods or not, I get results, and have gotten results the likes of which my predecessors never managed.  I'm not nice...  and I no longer try to be, where this community is concerned. I address things as I see appropriate.  Where TCT is concerned, you are not.  But despite this point, you continue to speak as though ANYTHING you say holds sway. Perhaps at GoMe, but not at TCT.

I have headed up TCT for so long because I have had the fortitude to put with up with the nonsense like you brought forth, take from it what we will, and find a path forward.  The pot-shot you referred to previously, is I assume my reference to someone.  She nearly broke us on more than one occasion, but in each case I found a path forward.  MOUL ended, but we felt the need to podcast, so I found a way forward.  TCT remains under my purview with or without affiliate status at GoMe. We neither need the GoMe, and after all of this stupidity, we do not want the GoMe.  TCT is winding down until more URU news comes out - which I figure will be next to never. We are going forward with a new project, which were thinking of using the GoMe once more to advertise for cavern stalwarts that might want to follow our further adventures, but I see that it is probably best that the break be clean and solid and we sink or swim in an entirely new zone / community.  

It seems there's nothing to do around here, and perhaps that's why you're stirring the pot in such a controversial way.  As I've heard it said: "People who are bored create drama to have something to do."  Well, then have fun with that.  For my part, I have made an uncontested separation fro GoMe. If that was your goal, then well played. 

Leonardo: Jan 23 - removed name of person per request.


kaeebonrai
Ritratto di kaeebonrai
Offline
Iscritto: 20 Gen 2008

and, still, Jnathus, you fail to understand that Whilyam is not in any way shape or form... a Messenger. He does not speak for the GoMe, he does not represent the GoMe, his comments were not asked for /by/ the GoMe. He does what he does of his own choice.

Maurus
Offline
Iscritto: 16 Dic 2007

No... at this point I don't think J'na is actually criticizing the Messengers here, just Whil, or at least Whil's perspective.

As for me? Whil's views are... misguided, I agree, but I don't want any further part in this discussion to be honest. Acknowledging a bully just makes him think his ammunition is stronger than it actually is, and I don't wanna give him the satisfaction.

Shorah out.

Marten
Ritratto di Marten
Offline
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
Iscritto: 8 Nov 2007

First, only those with a yellow book icon on their profile are recognized as Messengers.  Just so it is clear to everyone.

Second, apparently I must repeat something that was mentioned on just the previous page:  We have a policy against flaming/personal attacks, and that is a site-wide policy that also covers our forums. 

@Jnathus:  You are entitled to dislike someone; you are not entitled to use this space to air dirty laundry, and I don't care if you feel Whilyam is provoking you - he has, thus far, avoided overt personal attacks while you have not.  This is your second warning.

Edit 23-Jan-2011 - removed name of person per request.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

I don't understand why TCT should cut its link with GoMe for what Whilyam has said. More importantly I don't see that reason when GoMe's position on the Affiliates hasn't changed from what it was before.

But if you want so much to cut it, so be it.

Jnathus
Offline
Iscritto: 25 Nov 2007

kaelisebonrai wrote:
and, still, Jnathus, you fail to understand that Whilyam is not in any way shape or form... a Messenger. He does not speak for the GoMe, he does not represent the GoMe, his comments were not asked for /by/ the GoMe. He does what he does of his own choice.

I understand this, but you're clearly looking for a way forward, so decisions appear to be underfoot on an issue that is 'moot' to TCT.  My reactions are extreme to WHILYAM!  My actions as far as severing ties with GoMe have little to do with that. I almost severed ties with GoMe when Leonardo brought up the 'redefine affiliate status' thing on our forums, and that was brought TO ME from the staffers, not vice versa.  Let my presence here not suggest that it is my iron fist defining TCT's intentions.

Marten wrote:
Second, apparently I must repeat something that was mentioned on just the previous page:  We have a policy against flaming/personal attacks, and that is a site-wide policy that also covers our forums. 

@Jnathus:  You are entitled to dislike someone; you are not entitled to use this space to air dirty laundry, and I don't care if you feel Whilyam is provoking you - he has, thus far, avoided overt personal attacks while you have not.  This is your second warning.

 

So, I've attacked an organization, mentioned someone, and mentioned her again.  We're on a 'second' warning?  How many do I get?  If you didn't want the organizations or the 'persons' mentioned, then you might think to go back to original mentioning of such things, which is why I addressed them.  TCT has been characterized (by you) by the strife brought by someone we ultimately parted ways with, meanwhile we've had years of no issues after that incident.  I don't think I personally attacked someone, and it isn't my intention to air that laundry here.  She's not here to be offended, and by all indications, she's nowhere to be found in the community. However, Whilyam brought it up, I addressed it.  Don't like it? Look to the source.  You yourself have mentioned CCN's 'hibernation.'  Activity is ultimately the question here.  My desire to answer characterizations that we've long overcome and the fact that we keep getting a TCT / CCN lump are the sticking points for me. TCT |= CCN. 

 

Leonardo wrote:
I don't understand why TCT should cut its link with GoMe for what Whilyam has said. More importantly I don't see that reason when GoMe's position on the Affiliates hasn't changed from what it was before.
But if you want so much to cut it, so be it.

Because, as I mentioned, TCT is winding down.  GoMe has recently run afoul of mine and others' sensibilities by reporting things that we as a group feel have no place in public news reporting for a game. Undesirable content combined with the need to not be overwhelmed by RSS replications of content we're not monitoring. As TCT's forums are pretty much going into archive mode, when I check back on them on the rare occasion, I don't want to sort through 24 replicated RSS bits from the GoMe bot.  If I want that information, I'll go to the GoMe site. What I want is whatever might be posted by staffers and such on TCT on topics I care about. 

I really don't know why I keep coming back here. We were resolved as a team a while ago that this discussion isn't worth our time, and if this post results in a ban, then so much the better.  I've kept quiet on too many issues because I took the high road...  "if you have nothing nice to say . .  ."  However, I figured it was high time y'all got both barrels.  And to be accurate, I have accused Whilyam of causing drama simply to have something to do, so that makes 3 personal attacks...  4 if you count multiple points on someone.  

So, ban or not, this is my last post here at the GoMe.  Enjoy!

Leonardo - Jan 23: removed name of person per request.


Marten
Ritratto di Marten
Offline
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
Iscritto: 8 Nov 2007

Jnathus wrote:
GoMe has recently run afoul of mine and others' sensibilities by reporting things that we as a group feel have no place in public news reporting for a game.

It's unfortunate that Jnathus did not mention this until his final post because I would have liked to know more about this concern.  Not to distract too much from the overall conversation, but a few quick points I would like to address to everyone:

1)  Our site is set up so that you can filter the types of content that appear in our RSS Feed.  To customize, there is a link on the right side menu titled Customize Your News RSS Feed.  Anyone running a site importing our feed can use this to exclude content that falls into a category you don't like.

2) If you feel that the existing filtering mechanism mentioned above is inadequate, or if you are concerned that some of the stories we are carrying are inappropriate, the GoMe would appreciate your feedback.  A silent voice is no voice at all - the Guild cannot address your concerns unless you make your feelings known.

Whilyam
Offline
Iscritto: 7 Giu 2010

I have stopped trying to be "nice" with this community as well. That is one reason why I made this Guild series. We need to mature as a community and, rather than simply talk about it, I want to suggest actions the community can take. None of your attempts to de-legitimize or silence me can get you away from the fact that your organization is not in existence to help the Uru community, it is there for you. You refer to your organization in terms of the results *you* have gotten and compare "your" achievements with those of your predecessors. This is not what we need. We need people who want to help spread news, any news, all news, around the community.

I did not write these pieces because I was bored or because I wanted to create drama. I wanted to point out a problem with the relationship between this Guild and organizations like yours AND offer a solution. You have very nicely proven my point that the organizations are, in essence, "in it for themselves." I seriously doubt you or anyone at TCT honestly feels that way-- TCT is made up of very nice, talented people who have made high-quality podcasts for quite a while now. However, your words and actions here demonstrate (to me at least) that you would rather run away and have an organization of "your own" than work with others to help achieve the common goal. From your words, it would seem that TCT has abandoned Uru and looks at it with nothing but derision and spite.

Someday, when passions die down, another person will come along and have the courage to put aside ego and work towards the common goal. That person is apparently not you. Until that day, this community must make due with what we have. We must rely on the new members with new energy or we must instill inside us that same energy.

Tweek
Ritratto di Tweek
Offline
Iscritto: 18 Feb 2008

 

The solution to this is simple. You agree with Whil or you don't. If you do then you take the ideas you like from the discussion and apply it. If you don't then find something else to do.


The GoMe have spotted idea's agreed with them and worked to impliment, I see nothing wrong with that. A lot of what could be improved regarding the news is actually an outside of the GoMe thing, as I previously mentioned. If would go a long way if sites like MOUL, UO just pulled news from the GoMe, but that's up to the elusive Cyan or other web site owners to impliment.


Whilst I often agree with Whil on matters, I don't on most of this. GoMe has had their rocky moments, but they seem to have pulled through and been moving on, and continue to be productive and active, which is a rarity given how many "guilds" we have, there's only 2 or 3 who are actually active.

Would it be nice seeing TCT, CNN and others working more closely with the GoMe? Sure, do they really need to be folded into the GoMe? Not really, I don't really see any benefit from it. What the groups produce will be produced whether they're in the GoMe or not.


Not to mention some people are pleased with what they've created and guard it, it's not a rarity, I do the same with my Ages, and with the sites I've built and I know others do it too.

 

Whilyam wrote:
I have stopped trying to be "nice" with this community as well. That is one reason why I made this Guild series. We need to mature as a community and, rather than simply talk about it, I want to suggest actions the community can take. None of your attempts to de-legitimize or silence me can get you away from the fact that your organization is not in existence to help the Uru community, it is there for you.

 

Ah idealism ;). The community will never mature, at least not to the level it should be at by now, there are very few who work to the benefit of the community instead of themselves, and can you blame them? Given how the community reacts *cough*DRCL*cough* to things, it leaves a bitter taste in their mouths. I include myself in this, I've spent a great many years working for the community I don't anymore because the majority act in spite and it's not worth it. I don't build my Ages for people, I build them for myself, to tell the story I want to finish telling.

 

Whilyam wrote:
TCT is made up of very nice, talented people who have made high-quality podcasts for quite a while now. However, your words and actions here demonstrate (to me at least) that you would rather run away and have an organization of "your own" than work with others to help achieve the common goal. From your words, it would seem that TCT has abandoned Uru and looks at it with nothing but derision and spite.

 

Now to be fair Whil, how many of us haven't gotten bitter and abandoned Uru and look back with contempt at it? How often has topics of that nature turned up in the GoW chat? Those who didn't go the insanity route or the holding out for reasonable hope route went the bitter and disillusioned way.

 

Whilyam wrote:
Someday, when passions die down, another person will come along and have the courage to put aside ego and work towards the common goal. That person is apparently not you. Until that day, this community must make due with what we have. We must rely on the new members with new energy or we must instill inside us that same energy.


I've been waiting 13 years for that to happen.. glad I didn't hold my breath.

Szark
Ritratto di Szark
Offline
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Iscritto: 12 Gen 2008

Just to pick on one aspect of Whil’s points which in my mind is the crutch of everything.

 

 You know I have been on the receiving end of people holding a grudge toward me, calling my motives in to question. Hell I have even been attacked when I have done nothing wrong and one of those times was on the TCT. Why because the person concerned was going through a bad time and I got the brunt of it. Forums are rife with misunderstandings because people project their own insecurities in to the mix and don’t try to understand the meaning; they just read more into it and attack. Not everyone can put words in to writing, I myself included. I hate confrontation and avoid it as much as I can in RL. But I can articulate reasoning better than I can write so I am understood more with verbal converse.

 

  When I came to MOUL I was shy, had no interest in writing, as I am dyslexic and I had no interest in anything but playing the game. That changed when I got involved with the GoMe to help out. Didn’t know what I could help with until someone suggested helping out the TCT Archiver. From there I provided images and a bit of writing and always felt I was not part of the TCT but the GoMe. I think I was the only one who felt that way.

 

 Anyway sometime later I asked myself way I did all that. At first it was for myself, to widen my skill set but after a while I realised I was doing it for others, to help the community as a whole. That spurred me on though the years of no MOUL. I posted community news on 30 forums around the world. Why because it was the right thing to do, I embraced the community. Gave something back to the community so to speak, to keep that sense of community alive.

 

 The reason I lost interest is that I was slated. One for not providing coverage of SL. Even though I asked repeatedly for content to be delivered to me nothing came. I suppose it was too much to ask for so I stopped. This came after a few more people attacked my motives of why I did so much, even from within this guild. I continually sort out news and content but no one was interested unless it was done for them. This also happened here. I asked for help and got nothing. And this was after I wrote, assembled, provided images and distributed the last paper. I also helped to get this website made and got attacked for that. Why because time was precious to the webmaster and most guild members were dragging their feet. Why did I do so much because no one else was interested in doing it, not for themselves but for others?  I did it for other people so they felt part of a community.

 

 Whil is correct that we need people like that, more of them if this MOUla is to continue and flourish.  However now seeing how people’s ego gets in the way I fear this will never happen as the selfish will drive people like me away. Like I say if you do the right thing for the wrong reason you will fail.

 

 And if you think I did this for self promotion or whatever I never went by the name Szark in the MOUL. I don’t like being in the spot light. I did go in to MOULa as Szark but only as a GoMe rep.

 

 So far as I am concerned the motives of why someone does what they do is very apt. Again I suppose that most live their lives like that... part of the me, me, me society. No wonder the world is such s--t hole.

 

 As for the other points Whil made, well putting it straight I don’t care anymore. I have had it will all the naysayers. I will say one thing the truth hurts and by the reaction of some he has hit a few nails on the head.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Thank you Szark.

That is so true, with more people working for the community many issues could be avoided and everything would work smoother.

Julee D
Ritratto di Julee D
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 1 Mar 2010

@white - just a quick note about the "eight and a half active members" - Ok, I certainly don't consider myself a fully active member (too much real life gets in the way) but just so its said - I do frequently check into the GoMe website without actually logging in just to catch up on the news.  It's usually a "drive by" thing, but I wonder how many others do that as well.  Just sayin'   :)

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Tweek
Ritratto di Tweek
Offline
Iscritto: 18 Feb 2008

Just a question here, I figured this would be a good place to put it given the above talk about getting more people relying on your feed instead of posting their own news.


How is the news posts handled on your side of things along with the RSS feed? In formating the feed for use on other sites I've noticed that your news articles introduce extra elements that is not needed and break formatting.

 

For example;


 

All four elements are seperate div tags, which breaks outside formatting for those pulling your feed instead of using something like;

<p><strong>D'ni Location:</strong> New Player's Bevin<br />

<strong>Date of the event:</strong> February 12, 2011 - 13:00</p>

<p><a href="http://link.here"> More information about this story</a></p>

 

But then I guess a lot of this depends on how the CMS you're using formats the posts you make really or if it's the writer.

 

Anyway figured it was worth mentioning if you're wanting people to use your feed more for embedding in various site, having simple straight forward code would probably go a long way to helping.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Thank you letting me know Tweek....this site is big and I can't always remember of all the details.

You're right. It heavily depends on the CMS module the handles it.

I can control how each of them is printed, depending on its type I can control the format of the date, how the link should be printed (as HTML link, only URL, only title, separate), etc.
But I can't control what is used to keep them in structure without changing the code...I'm not even sure of which module handles those div, maybe it's the theme layer, maybe it's the ContentConstructionKit and maybe something else.

The module that builds the Feeds has this kind of capabilities for certain view styles, such as XML or CVS styles, but I can't control the behaviour of the fields in an RSS Feed, it just takes what is there in the Node View.

I know that this is not exactly a good response but: probably the best thing would be handling this when you import the Feed, playing with CSS rules to make sure it doesn't break your style.